Sunday, October 30, 2011

Double Journal Entry #10

Quote: "When I did finally learn to read, my teachers didn’t have much to do with it. I was 11, and even my school-appointed tutors had given up on me (Schultz)."

My Reaction: After reading about Schultz's sad experience in his early school years, I was reminded of something Dr. Pamela Kiefer would often tell the school board I served on: "We must approach education with commitment of all children have gifts and talents." The caveat to that is that some children may have gifts and talents to a greater degree and some less; regardless, educators must assist students in developing their unique gifts and talents to the fullest potential.

How might the learning environment been different for Mr. Schultz had that belief been instilled amongst the teaching professionals he encountered? I recall how one of my younger brothers struggled early on in elementary school with reading. The teacher pinched him, ridiculed him in front of the other students, and badly damaged his self-esteem. After meeting with school officials and much testing, it was recommended my brother see an optometrist. Lo and behold it was discovered that he had an uncommon eye stimatism. Glasses allowed him to function much better and he was moved to another classroom. However, the teasing and bullying from other students continued due to the teacher setting the tone that my brother was inferior and unworthy. To this day he struggles some with reading and writing; however, he is a highly skilled carpenter and has produced spectacular works that has impressed even architects. Little did that teacher know what a marvelous gift and talent my brother had in his hands and in his head.

As long as there exists the ability and desire to learn, a student can be educated. Professional educators must assist students toward maximizing ability; when desire is lacking, educators must strive to inspire the desire.

Schultz, Philip. "Words Failed, Then Saved Me." New York TImes 3 Sept. 2011, sundayreview ed. Web. 30 Oct. 2011. <http://tinyurl.com/3rfx9zj>.


RESOURCES
What is Dyslexia?. Narr. Jane Emerson. 2011. You Tube, 2009. Web. 30 Oct. 2011. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yL1emzIpg>.

What is it like to have dyslexia? . 2008. You Tube. Web. 30 Oct. 2011. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZLFTW4OGY>.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your post 110% you've said it all! I felt so bad for this child, I'm glad times have changed and there is now more understanding of different disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post actually brought tears to my eyes. You are so right about teachers tapping into each and every student to find and foster their strengths!

    ReplyDelete